Thursday, April 16, 2009

Single Parent Discrimination

Warning!! This blog may contain several politically incorrect remarks. Please find another blog to read if you consider yourself a politically correct person (the irony is,that I am a Political Science Major.) Nice eh?

I have a few beefs and couple of bones to pick when it comes to the general treatment of Single Parents in this country (and I'm sure abroad.)Are we lesser beings? Ever feel as though you are at the bottom of the Sociotype Totem Pole? And why?? Because we believe the bull that we are fed.

The fact is, we work twice as hard as most families...The DINK's (Double Income No Kids),the Married with Children Types, Religiously Married with Children Types,or those whom are simply too Chic for kids! There are many more Sociotypes of course but these are the ones that really bug me!It's not their lives that I have a problem with. I envy most of them. It's their attitude.

How is it that we receive less respect for doing the job of a village,alone? You would imagine the opposite, but nope. Not gonna happen. Us, single mothers are often times seen as weak and needy and even more,a liability and risky investment. Yep, that's us,as we dustily sit upon the shelf,right next to the clearanced day old bread.

The thing that really chaps my hide is that Single Fathers seem to be treated in the exact opposite fashion. The are praised and admired. (This is all generally speaking of course, I realize the case is different for many.)

Have you ever been to a job interview when they carefully ask with a suspicious eye, "Tell me about yourself..." "What sorts of things do you do for fun...." or maybe they are more forward and just illegally and flat out ask if your married or have children. (It's happened to me several times, probably because they assume that some dumb single mom wouldn't even know that it's illegal or even care?) Of course once you fall into the trap and accidentally mention that you enjoy "Spending time with your Kids" (they notice the absence of the husband part.) Or maybe you just candidly answer the question, and then?....the tone changes. The interest and excitement that was on their face just seconds ago has now been traded in for pity and disappointment.

This, my friends is the Saga of the Single Mother. Who wants to hire woman who essentially has no back up for childcare? Who will inevitably need many sick days for sick children? Back to the 'poor investment' issue. Don't get me wrong though, good employers do exist! (Miss You Vicky and Victor!)

However,I am certain that I was not hired for several jobs that I have been more than qualified for,simply because of my social rank.

And Health Care? Don't even get me started,oh wait! I'm already started...

The discrimination I have seen over the last year and a half for being on Medicaid is unbelievable. My first Oncologist had the attitude that if I were to receive free Health Care, then I should receive the most basic or less than standard care. (The cheapest and least effective of course.)

He would not look me in the eye when we spoke and I felt the presence of death among me. His insensitive approach insinuated that he had already surrendered to the idea that I was not going to make it. Unsurprisingly, after 3 months on the WRONG chemo (the basic stuff), I had almost zero response. The tumors were almost exactly the same size. The words "Ms. Millet, I hate to tell you this,but it appears that you have not responded much to the A/C." The words echoed in my head. What? I AM THE PROBLEM? I didn't RESPOND? Funny how the way something is worded changes everything.I had become best friends with my toilet bowl for 3 months for nothing and in my opinion? All because I was on Medicaid.

I had known of other treatments available but he showed no interest in starting me on them, I had asked for Clinical Trials, but he made excuses. In my eyes? He was murdering me.

I immediately changed Oncologists and to my complete shock, I wasn't spoken to like I had the I.Q. of an Orangutan just because I was on Medicaid. A doctor who actually treated me like a person? I started a new treatment regimen and showed immediate improvement! Are we going to stand for this!? This kind of stuff is going on all over the world and when discrimination goes this far,it could mean a person's life!

If you have never experienced the pain and embarrassment of telling the Cashier at the Grocery Store that "It's an EBT Food Card." (Food Stamps), or if you have never been faced with the Horror of having to tell a Landlord that you are on Section 8 Housing (crossing fingers,toes and eyes just hoping that they will not look down on you and accept you),or if you have never had to encounter the flushed all over,color of of Fire Engine feeling of being told that your WIC check isn't good for THAT kind of Orange Juice or that you tried to cash it on the wrong day and therefore had to put all the groceries back....you are the lucky one!!!!

The brutal truth is that we have a hard time. We try so hard to better our lives for our children and ourselves but attitudes and circumstances can be stifling. I am curently trying to figure out how and where I will receive and pay for,childcare for my 3 children so I can attend College.It's just insane.

And then there are some callous people who dare go beyond just an attitude and would actually tell a Single Mother that she owes society because they are helping her or that she should send back the Christmas presents that the Doctors Office (yes,my Doctor is awesome) bought for her family. It's a good thing that some people care and that there ARE programs out there to help those seriously in need,but it is difficult to say the least at the same time.

You know, on the Housing program now, it is a requirement that you do 8 hours of Community Service a month if you are not working. No problem,it's just that...I don't believe that it prevents abuse.Those with no work ethic will simply claim disability for something as general as Depression, while those WITH a work ethic, struggle to find to find employment but in the mean time, must find a way to pay for day care while completing their community service on top of it.

Just a note (okay,it was more like a novel),to let you know that there is someone out there who cares, someone who has experienced the same things and someone who is FIGHTING for your rights as a Single Parent! That's why I'm going to Law School baby!
To protect those whom have had their basic Civil Rights violated. No more! Enough!

I will have more T-Shirts coming out soon. Let ya know as soon as it happens!!

12 comments:

Ms Mayhem said...

Amen, sister! That was the most beautiful thing I've ever read in my life! Don't apologize for ANY of it!

I'm the single mom of 5 kids...and am constantly criticized for having "so many kids" and being "on assistance." Well, at leave I f-ing try and go to school and work TOWARDS something instead of sitting on my fat ass and doing nothing all day.

Sorry...guess you got me a little wound up. It's all good. Bless you for having bigger balls than most the guys I know! :)

Christine Anne said...

I am writing this note because I want to help end discrimination against single mothers. Also to inform you of a Website that is allowed to spread hate literature about single mothers. Please see the website: http://www.ifeminists.net/introduction/editorials/2006/0208sartre.html

This site refers to single mothers as self-indulgent females that use their children to get pity from society. As a divorced mother I raised my children on my own and it was more difficult than it should have been due to these types of attitudes which are allowed to flourish in societies. Such discriminatory attitudes have kept me and my family living in poverty for over 15 years. I had to move away to obtain full time permanent employment that supports my family. Through a government competition I was finally able to secure employment since personal information such as age, marital status, parental status, religion and race could not be revealed to the managers. Interviews were also conducted electronically and over the phone. Even though I am detecting attitudes of systemic discrimination from a few of my married and male co-workers my job is permanent. However, I do not wish to remain as a Policy Analyst until retirement, and hope to move to a senior or management level in a few years. Yet I know that the opportunities for me will be less than those of my married, male, and childless coworkers. My feeling is that I will need to apply for work in a completely different department in order to move up a level or two.

My sons are young men now, however they still carry the emotional scars of being made to feel like there was something wrong with them because their father was not in the picture. Systemic discrimination against single mothers and their children is quite common. Single mothers earn almost half the income of married mothers. If a married mother looses her job, she always has an income from her partner to help get through such times. For single mothers it is a different story, we are often afflicted with sexual harassment from bosses who know that there is no husband to protect us, and that we need the job to support our families. Unemployment rates are also higher for single mothers compared to married mothers. Conditions and attitudes may vary depending on where you live. Please let me know if there is any organization or person who can addresses issues related to systemic discrimination against single mothers in the workplace, and society in general. Most single mothers do not seek to be sole parents. However, the choice to have children without a male partner should not be criminalized either. Discriminating against a mother and child because there is no husband or father is the crime here. Is there anyone that I could talk to who truly understands this issue? I want to help end systemic discrimination against single mothers.

Thank you for taking the time to read about these issues and my concerns. With kind Thanks,

Christine

Anne said...

I can identify with your pain. Unfortunately it doesn't get any easier. It just gets worse. I'm a single mom too, ostracized not only by society in general but by ex in-laws, ex family, blah blah blah, and all because they don't agree with how I raise my kids. Although when I was pulling some really hard shifts, I sure didn't see one of them knocking on my door offering anything other than harassment. No concern for the children there. When I told them about some nasty things other family members did to me as a child, I got told to shut my mouth. LOL - but they missed the kids. No protection for me, meant no protection for the kids. I LOVE MY KIDS.

You keep pushing ahead and I hope you succeed in going to college and realizing your dreams. God Bless.

Jane said...

I am an English older single mum, 52 now and my son is only 9. Everywhere I go I get some kind setback, trying for work, school, and even my own studying. I look 10 years younger, but even this is not good enough.
People at my sons school act as if Im weird or abnormal, It really is horendous. I want to be back at work but no help from family makes it difficult. Every tme I come up with a positive even family seem to make it negative as I 'dont know what Im doing'. Because I dress modernly and wear makeup its like some kind of sin. I do think that sums itup, single mothers are mental sinners, in the eyes of THIS society.

Jane Leicester England

Anonymous said...

I hear you. I'm a single mom of a soon-to-be 18 year old great teenage girl. We have had our struggles, but she's a wonderful kid - I love her more than anything. I have only ever received $100 in child support, and one outfit, plus a baby swing from her "father." He is on SSI - and you wouldn't BELIEVE the number of websites helping fathers skirt their responsibilities - and you wouldn't believe the crap people say to me about our "situation." Mean-spirited, nasty, hateful people. I have a full time job, and put myself through school (with the help of loans, God only knows how I'll pay them back). I am overworked, and underpaid - always have been. There are people in my organization with less education than me who make TONS more money than I do. I wonder if the Bachelor's degree was even worth it. So, you aren't struggling alone. I'm glad you are speaking out about it! We single moms need to stick together!!

Alisha said...

@ZenMamaPolitic The racial and sexual intersections combine when you are an African American single mother. I have 1 natural, & 1 adopted child through foster care; with autism. And I still get discriminated against, even for things that these idiots 'make up' about other single mothers; that they think should rightly apply to me. And I also am putting myself through school as well. But..it's as if they are so desperate to try to hide their own insecurities, that they will do almost just about anything. And I mean anything. It's ridiculous.

As single parents grow in numbers...so do theirs- e.g...(childless, married w/no kids, and others). Lastly, I am currently in Graduate school, & putting myself through school as well. It can be both frustrating and difficult. But..the reward will be worth the effort. Hang in there. Eventually..they will have to move out of the way. Black, White, & multi-colored. We are the future.

Anonymous said...

My mum was always a single mum and my teachers looked down on us because of it, they assumed we must be a 'problem family' or need 'help'. I'm doing a dissertation on how the European Union can combat discrimination against lone mothers. Btw, the discrimination comes from gender roles, the double standard and sexuality issues. -Tara Msiska UK

Anonymous said...

Through out my academic and professional growth I experienced extreme discrimination. Attitudes from employers and coworkers were demeaning and cruel and included sexual harassment; exclusion in the lunch room; accusations if something was stolen; questioning my morals… I have a very defined set of principles which include abiding by the law. My work experience was a nightmare of contract work and unemployment benefits. In Halifax people know about you before you even meet them. What they think is not accurate and based on gossip from the jealous or the exes.

After graduating with my Masters degree in 2003, some of my less experienced classmates acquired permanent positions with the Federal Government and were given training in areas such as environmental assessment, fisheries management, project management, and policy development. My resume was rejected, even though I had more credentials, experience and training. In Nova Scotia affirmative action initiatives encourage you to self-identify if you are a woman, visible minority, disabled, or Aboriginal. I used to think that this was a good thing …. However, the term “right fit” is the back up to make sure that people who are out side the realm of the “entitled” do not gain entrance. To me the affirmative action policy perpetuates systemic discrimination in the work place.

Extreme discrimination had a detrimental impact on my career path and more importantly on my children. There is no way to convey the damage caused to a family when the primary provider is denied viable employment. My children had to live in boarder line poverty because of the attitude toward hiring single moms into a permanent position that could support a family. My children also had to deal with attitudes from teachers, the justice system, and the church. My oldest son carries the most scars, and although he had to run the gauntlet of the single mother’s oldest child he was able to do well in school and made it to second year medicine.

However the pressure was relentless and he shared with me the discriminatory attitudes toward single moms that permeate the medical system even at the academic level. In the spring of 2009 he had a mental breakdown and was diagnosed with psychosis. For the most part the state of his mental and physical health can be directly linked to the discrimination and abuse he received for being the son of a single mom. I recently found out that he was also sexually abused as a child. I suspect who the perpetrators are but the system protects them. I looked for help. It just made it worse. When I try to investigate and report on the perpetrators, the situation gets turned around so that it looks like it is our entire fault.

Single mothers should be recognized as vulnerable persons and there should be specific protection in place to ensure that we and our children are not exploited, abused, violated, and excluded. There are now enough of us to demand this and get results. Lets work together to stop discrimination against single mothers and their children.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was separated and soon to be divorced from my kids' dad (few women would have wanted to live like he wanted us to live) and applied to put them in a part-time nursery school program (Episcopalian I think). The program directors, not realizing that I was separated and soon to be divorced, informed me proudly that "we don't have any children of single mothers here". My gentle son was bullied at that school by the oh-so-"secure" children of these oh-so-"good" married couples, and finally after months of harassment about a bodily feature of his (I had overheard them more than a few times while sitting quietly watching them play), bit one of them. Guess who looks bad then...the "single mother" with the uncontrollable kid. The father who didn't "harden him up enough" (and teach him to be a little *ssh***. You name it - we can't get it right.

Christine Anne said...

My heart goes out to all single moms. We are really discriminated against and treated like "we can't get it right". But you all know that is not true. Be confident! All you single moms are awesome and the only thing that really matters is your love for your children - and I can tell that you love your children more than your own lives. Therefore you are awesome!!! I am making a commitment today to change - more specifically to stop this discrimination against us. I will challenge all negative attitudes toward single mothers and I will not let any one get away with derogatory talk or treatment of my sister single moms. I got your back. We are going to smash this demon. We are going to love our kids. We are going to love ourselves and we are going to live our lives to the fullest. Good, kind, indifferent... we will be ourselves. Because our marital status does not define us, what defines us is the condition of our hearts and minds. My pathway is healing for myself; my children and everyone - even those who are so broken that they need to discriminate against others - even those who seem like they don't deserve this special healing gift. This is how we can slay the demon of discrimination. We will not discriminate back. Discrimination will not live in our hearts. When discrimination dies the world becomes a better place for our children and ourselves. We just need to keep on loving our children, each other, ourselves, our neighbours, the world ... I will keep my mind clear and my heart will never stop loving. In this there will be peace, joy, and certainty. Sisters, I am with you always!

Anonymous said...

I am a single Mother by choice. I adopted my daughter and have enjoyed every minute of being a Mom. In fact I gave up an exectuive job to work from home and spend time with my daughter.

Because I made the choice to be a single Mom...I am even more offended when poeple cock their heads to one side and say "Im sorry, it must be hard to be a single Mom". But I usually just let it go and just say...Nope, it's the most rewarding experience of my life!

So last week was the first time I ever felt the ignorance and sheer discrimination, from a high school vice principle. You see, I opened my heart and home to a forgeign exchange student. When she missed the bus, the assistant principle called the district director and said that Single Mothers can barely take care of their own children, let alone a forgein exchange student!! When the coordinator explained my situation, he changed it to "single affluent parents are more interested in going to the gym or playing tennis thant taking care of their own children." REALLY?? Surely he didn't say that?? So I call and sure enough...he believes that single parents are a problem for society!! I have the entire conversation on tape and can barely believe what I am hearing from this dinosour!

So on behalf of all offended single parents...I'm taking a stand, I have hired an attorney and I want this principle fired! God forbid he is one day my daughters principle and she has to deal with his discrimination!

Christine Anne said...

I hear you Anonymous!
Go for it. Sometimes being successful as single parent is more difficult as we are expected to screw up. When we do not they target our children. My sons are targeted in many ways - from being exposed to dangerous scenarios ... to those encouraging re-connection with my abusive ex-husband after 20+years of absence. When I was pregnant there were those who encouraged me to have an abortion. Of course I did not as I love my children and wanted a family. They are the centre of my life. Although afflicted with the predators and self-righteous of this world my second son is a very good person. He is dead now and I blame every last one of them for denying us the dignity, resource, and ability to live in peace. I truly hope you can stop that principle from poisoning a child’s self-worth and sense of belonging - all the power to you.
Thank you and take care,
Christine